Counterfeit Bills in Thorp March 29, 2019
Multiple reports are coming in from different areas for counterfeit bills. See details below:
From the City of Thorp (3/29/2019): Businesses and residents of Thorp, please keep an eye out for FAKE $100 bills circulating throughout the City. Thorp Police Department has recovered several of these fake bills. If you do find any, contact the PD at 715-669-5523. There are Chinese characters on the back side and the paper feels differently than real bills, but at quick glance look very similar.
From the Eau Claire Police Department (3/28/2019):
Information for retailers! We have seen an increase in counterfeit currency being exchanged the past few weeks. This is a $100 bill passed this morning.
Here are some tips to identify a counterfeit bill:
- Feel of the bill
- Look for the watermark portrait
- Look for a security thread
- Look for color changing ink
- Pay attention to blurry boarders
- Use a counterfeit money detection pen
- The money may have a “Motion Picture Use Only” written on it