Business lawsuits happen every day. But many small to mid-sized businesses think that only big businesses are at risk of legal action. It is important to know any business can be hit with a liability claim or lawsuit. Relatively minor actions, and even a moment of inattention by one of your employees on the road, can unfortunately lead to big legal action.
Here are some examples of liability risks:
- An employee says something damaging about another person or corporate entity on a social media platform while on the job
- Advice that a staff member provides, in a consulting capacity (such as financial or tax advice) leads to a patron’s financial loss
- A business patron slips on an icy walkway or is injured falling down slippery steps
- A bartender at the local watering hole serves one too many cocktails and a customer causes a deadly accident
Business umbrella insurance provides extra liability protection to help protect your business in the event of a major lawsuit. Top reasons to make sure you business is covered:
- Your professional liability insurance can be quickly exhausted by legal defense fees
- You have significant business assets to protect
- Your company is at risk of legal claims due to the nature of the products or services you provide
- You work in a field that is prone to litigation
What is your risk? When you want to assess the likelihood of a liability claim being filed against you, and evaluate the resources you need to have in place to protect your bottom line, a chat with an Forward Insurance agent who specializes in commercial insurance is a great place to start.